Where we are today.
(Added to this website on 10/29/09.)
A father had placed a mercury thermometer on a small tree just outside a window of the family's home some time ago when the temperature was warm during late summer and dew would not form on the grass yet. Time passed into Indian Summer (early Fall) and the leaves began to turn to various shades of red, yellow, and brown. By Hallowe'en, the dew was beginning to form each morning on the grass. In November, clouds were often present all day long and dew frequently remained on the grass all day.
One morning at about 2:00 AM when the humidity was rather high, a dewdrop formed between the bulb and the mounting on the thermometer. A few minutes later, a dust particle settled on the dewdrop and some bacteria from the dust particle penetrated the surface tension of the dewdrop and began to multiply. By 2:30, the descendants of the bacterial ancients had formed a thriving civilization and were advancing in the pursuit of knowledge. By 3:00 AM, there was an acceleration of scientific knowledge and the most advanced were beginning to wonder about the nature of the thermometer.
When another half hour had passed, a revolution had happened and a new nation had formed from the efforts of forefathers who allowed free enterprise and science to flourish - and it appeared that the greatest scientists could not only understand the nature of the thermometer, but might be able to read it.
By 4:00 AM, the scientists had been reading the thermometer and had noticed that the temperature was dropping. By 5:00 AM, it was apparent that the temperature was still dropping and that the world would be frozen by 12:00 noon at the latest. There was much wailing and consternation because this would be the end of the world.
At 6:00 AM, the temperature stopped falling and began a slow rise which accelerated with each passing hour. There was dancing in the currents and celebrations that lasted for seconds at a time. Obviously, the world was not going to freeze after all.
During this period of optimism, the scientists found a way to overcome the surface tension on the drop and various vehicles were developed which took brave bacteria outside to return and talk about the universe after having seen it in its entirety. Some became famous political figures and others started metaphysical foundations. Various theories of creation were expounded upon by those who now knew the constitution of the universe.
The temperature continued to rise and then a certain politician wrote a book that stated that by no later than 6:00 PM the world would be destroyed by boiling - and the temperature rise was caused by bacteria-produced heat. The destruction could only be avoided by reducing the population (each bacterium created heat simply by existing) and reducing movement (the friction of movement created heat). The book sold many copies and the bacteria did their best to prevent procreation and movement, but the temperature kept on rising. Some real scientists looked at the problem and stated that the warming was not caused by bacteria - but they were ridiculed by the majority of the population.
Mr. Moore concluded by saying: "That is where we are today."
A number of books have been written on global warming or climate change. Some of the better ones follow.
The Really Inconvenient Truths was written by Iain Murray (copyrighted 2008). It is definitely a rightwing publication, but it has a lot of good information that is well documented. There us much to see on how the left had infiltrated the environmental movement and hijacked it to the point that it now produces propaganda designed to hurt America and free enterprise.
A Primer on CO2 and Climate by Howard C. Hayden, Second Edition (copyrighted 2008) is excellent in every way - in its back-up math, its scientific research, its writing, and its objectivity. It is not very long, and difficult to put down once one begins to read it.
Climate Confusion, a New York Times best seller, was written by Roy W. Spencer (copyrighted 2008). It unmasks the lies and shows the truth about climate change.
The Deniers by Lawrence Solomon (copyrighted 2007) and The Politically Incorrect
Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism by Christopher C. Horner (copyrighted 2007)
are two more books worth reading.
Some of the truths found in the books above on CO2 are:
1. CO2 is a natural gas that is one of the best possible "fertilizers" for plants. Plants are, in large part, made of carbon from CO2.
2. CO2 is not really much of a green house gas. Water vapor is many times more of a green house gas. We all exhale CO2 and water vapor as do other forms of animal life. However, if all forms of animal life (including us) were eliminated, it would be bad for the plants because they need what we exhale for them to live.
3. Approximately seven-tenths of the earth is covered by water. Water absorbs most of the CO2 from the atmosphere. Cold water absorbs much more CO2 than does warm water - which is why when you pour out a carbonated drink that has been warmed you get a lot of foam.
4. Although there are times when changes in CO2 levels and changes in temperature do not correlate, for the most part temperature change and CO2 in the atmosphere are definitely correlated. However, warming causes warmer oceans and more CO2 to be sent into the atmosphere, and cooling causes cooler oceans and more CO2 to be removed from the atmosphere. In other words, temperature is the cause of changes in CO2 atmospheric concentration rather than the reverse.
5. More than three dozen studies contradict the claim that CO2 persists in the atmosphere long term. Once there is any high concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere, the oceans absorb it within a short time.
6. Those who are claiming that CO2 levels were less in the past, use core samples from ice to validate their argument. Actually, more than twenty processes occur to the trapped gases in ice cores - and these processes change the chemical composition of the those trapped gases. Drilling also changes the chemical composition of the gases, and leads to depletion of CO2 in those gases.
7. Real time measures of CO2 in the atmosphere since the beginning of the 19th century demonstrate that CO2 concentrations have fluctuated greatly and that several time in the last 200 years, CO2 concentrations have exceeded today's levels.
8. Human contributions to global warming are miniscule to the point they are
no more potent in their effect than the contributions of the bacteria in the dewdrop of
the story above.
Dr. George Kukla, an expert on climate change, stated: "Earth has experienced an ongoing solar cycle of ice ages, each typically lasting about 100,000 years, and each punctuated by briefer, warmer periods called interglacials - such as the one we are in now. The current period of global warming [long term] actually constitutes an additional indication of the ice age to come."
Some of the real causes of climate change follow.
1. Earth tilt - causing the summer/winter annual cycle.
2. Changes in sunspot activity - an eleven-year cycle on average.
3. Precession of the orbit of the earth - a long-term cycle.
4. Combinations of the above.
5. Large meteorite impacts such as the one that began the extinction of the dinosaurs.
6. Volcanic activity - such as the recent eruption by Krakatoa - and the long-term effect of the one under the ice in Antarctica which is causing a slow-moving river of ice to flow into the ocean.
Oceans Rising - One critical glance, by anyone familiar with geometry and math, at the land masses and oceans of the earth as they appear on a globe, will show that the rise of oceans as the result of all the ice melting would not exceed much more than six inches at most. But those who are agitating for hysterical action to prevent global warming will tell you that there will be a rise of the waters up to twenty feet.
Lenin's Birthday - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin was born in Simbirsk, Russia, on April 22, 1870. His name at birth was Vladimir Ilyich Ulnov, but he took the name Lenin to prevent his true class (son of a provincial school inspector and the daughter of a physician with upper class upbringing) from being known. Earth Day was created by radicals who were intent upon killing the free market system and the United States. They chose Lenin's birthday, April 22, for Earth Day.
Lenin was responsible for mass murders in Russia when he and control from the democratic provisional government after the people had deposed the Czar. Lenin remained the virtual dictator of Russia's new government until 1922.
The CO2 "solution" proposed by the Communists in Congress and Obama is to tax heavily the
production of CO2. CO2 and manmade global warming are not actually problems, and
the real intent of such legislation is to aid in killing the U.S. economy and free enterprise.
The radicals have long ago infiltrated and sometimes created the ecological and
save-the-earth organizations. Real help with the ecology and the stewardship of the
earth is actually being threatened by the left in their attempts to destroy the economy.