One frequent question we often hear from new clients is how to choose the best router for their needs. When setting up new accounts for high-speed internet access, choosing the right router for your home or place of business is an important step, so we’ve rounded up a few guidelines to help your decision.
When Softcom technicians set up a new account, as part of the installation they will configure the router you have chosen to connect to the internet. We do not provide a router as part of the initial set-up, you have the choice of choosing to either rent a router from us (the Softcom Smart Router), or purchase one of your own.
Softcom Smart Routers are available for all Softcom customers and have been developed with the goal of making our customers’ experience better, faster, stronger, and with an increased ability to control key issues for both home and business users. To learn more about our routers, how they work, rental costs, and more, just click here: “Softcom Smart Routers.”
If you’d like to research purchasing your own router, here are some basic guidelines:
- Consider the square footage of your home (including whether it’s single or two story). Check the range of the router, or ask a sales rep at the store/online, before you purchase to ensure it can reach the areas where you need internet access.
- Know your speed plan. Make sure that the router you select has the capacity to handle the service plan you select. For instance, if you choose Softcom’s 25 Mbps Supreme plan, a single bandwidth / basic router will not be able to handle the signal.
- The more bandwidth the better. Our Smart Routers are dual bandwidth and are suitable for almost all of our plans, but if you have multiple devices/users, more bandwidth will work to your advantage.
- When in doubt, talk to our customer support team. Our technicians will help you narrow down the right router for your home or business and streamline the buying process. Whether the router tests bad, is faulty or you’re a new customer looking to buy one, our tech support team is here and willing to help out.
- One common FAQ: The Linksys E-Series router is NOT compatible with our service, so cross that one off your list.
One thing you can depend on is that we will do everything we can to help you choose the right router and make sure your internet access and service plan is working properly for your unique needs. If you require assistance with connecting devices to your wireless signal, our techs will be happy to help. And if you have a business, farm, vineyard, large property or anything else that requires custom installation, give us a call or check here for more information: Custom Wifi Setups for Your Unique Business Needs.